Skip to main content

Avoiding the bionic man

 BEAR: Do you miss performing?

HOOKER: Of course. But with these hands, I couldn't play if I wanted do.

BEAR: Arthritis?

HOOKER::I don't know what else to call it.

BEAR: What does the doctor call it?

HOOKER: I haven't been to a doctor. It doen't hurt that much.

BEAR: All the same--

HOOKER: Bear, I've reached the age when the doctor is no longer my ally. Our goals conflict. He wants to keep me alive. I want to die of natural causes, sooner rather than later.

BEAR: That almost sounds suicidal.

HOOKER: Bullshit it does!

BEAR: Sorry. Didn't mean to piss you off.

HOOKER: I'm sick and tired of being called morbid or suicidal just because I want to manage my own death. I've had a spectacular life! But it's over. No family left, no kids. 

BEAR: What about me?

HOOKER: You're my longest friend, but you're not my responsibility. 

BEAR: I'm saying I'll miss you.

HOOKER: And I'll miss you if you go first. But this doesn't change the bigger picture.

BEAR: Does your doctor know you feel this way?

HOOKER: No. 

BEAR: Maybe you shoud tell him.

HOOKER: I don't trust him. He'd keep me alive even if it meant turning me into a bionic man.

BEAR: He knows more than you do. He's a doctor!

HOOKER: And half the doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

BEAR: I never looked at it that way. 

HOOKER: Nobody has.

BEAR: Did you come up with that or read it somewhere?

HOOKER: Maggie read it in Dear Abbey.

(End)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About basketball

 BEAR: Did you watch the Blazers game last night? HOOKER: I don't follow the Blazers. BEAR: I thought you were a basketball fan. You used to be. HOOKER: I won't be an NBA fan again until they raise the basket. The game's turned into dunking and showing off. Today I follow women's basketball. It's still a team sport. BEAR: How about Caitlin Clark? HOOKER: She's spectacular.  BEAR: All those three pointers, some almost at half court. HOOKER: I'm talking about her passing. There are many good three point shooters but I've never seen anyone pass with her accuracy and consistency. She's the very definition of what a team sport looks like. BEAR: Granddaughter number two worships Clark. HOOKER: She plays? BEAR: First string on her high school team. I try not to miss a home game. HOOKER: I envy you. BEAR: Why don't you come to a game with me? HOOKER: I'd love to. BEAR: I think there are a couple games next week. I have to check my calendar. HOOKER: N...

Boredom in old age

 BEAR: I visited my brother yesterday. HOOKER: He any better? BEAR: About the same. I always feel so guilty after seeing him. HOOKER: Why's that? BEAR: All he talks about is how boring it is there and what a relief from boredom it is to have me visit. He makes me feel like I should be visiting every day. The thing is, I can understand why he's bored. Activities amount to exercising, bingo, cards, and Bible study. He sometimes plays pinochle once a week. That's about it. HOOKER: Sounds boring to me, too. BEAR: Do you ever get bored? HOOKER: Rarely. You? BEAR: Sorry to say I do. Our Tuesday coffees often are the highlight of the week. The rest of the time, I'm climbing the walls. HOOKER: Now that surprises me. Doesn't your son live in Portland? BEAR:  He does. But I'm lucky if I hear from him once a month. HOOKER: Man, that's too bad. BEAR: I hear from my granddaughter more often, even when she's back east. HOOKER: I hear something like this and I don'...